Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Donkeys in Ireland

Two years ago I got to spend St. Patrick's day in Dublin.  While a grand time was had by all, I think it's true that Americans celebrate the day moreso than the Irish.  In fact, the pubs we ended up at consisted mostly of Americans, clad in made-for-tourists Irish gear, and the only people with jolly Irish accents were the bartenders.  The Guinness did taste better though, and I got to experience my first (and last) shot of Jameson. 

I was more impressed by Ireland's vast countryside, the ancient castles, and the mastery of driving a van on the opposite side of the road + vehicle.  (As if driving a van wasn't enough of an adjustment.)  My sister feeding the donkeys is an accurate depiction of the silliness that ensued on our trip to Ireland, and now the holiday has become a bit nostalgic for me.  At the time, the trip didn't quite meet our expectations.  Looking back, I wouldn't have changed a second of it.  Sláinte!


I hope you all have a very happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails