Thursday, April 22, 2010

Name's Roughy, Orange Roughy.

Last night I went to the store with intent to buy salmon.  The fresh salmon didn't look so great, so the man behind the counter made a few personal recommendations.  I ended up taking home some orange roughy.  I had never heard of it before, but it was delicious.  My dinner date and I agreed that it was possibly the best fish we had ever eaten.  It was so easy to prepare too!  We just threw some sliced lemons on top, added some herbs, wrapped it in aluminium foil, and stuck it in the oven on 350° for about 25 minutes.  Insta-delectability.

Today I have learned a few facts about the fishy itself:

  • It belongs to the slimehead family.  What a great family name.
  • They tend to have great longevity-sometimes up to 149 years old.
  • Good source of protein.
  • High level of mercury-don't eat it if you have a bun in the oven.
  • The fish was recently listed on the Greenpeace International red list due to possible exploitation.
  • Hence, last night was the first and last time I eat it guilt-free.
So next time you're looking for something a little less ordinary than baked chicken or a simple pasta, consider the orange roughy.  But don't consider it too often or it will be all gone before we know it.  And what would the world do without orange little slimeheads swimming around way down under?  I guess we would just have to eat the salmon. . .

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails