Today I have learned a few facts about the fishy itself:
- It belongs to the slimehead family. What a great family name.
- They tend to have great longevity-sometimes up to 149 years old.
- Good source of protein.
- High level of mercury-don't eat it if you have a bun in the oven.
- The fish was recently listed on the Greenpeace International red list due to possible exploitation.
- Hence, last night was the first and last time I eat it guilt-free.
So next time you're looking for something a little less ordinary than baked chicken or a simple pasta, consider the orange roughy. But don't consider it too often or it will be all gone before we know it. And what would the world do without orange little slimeheads swimming around way down under? I guess we would just have to eat the salmon. . .